Customize Windows 8's boot screen with Boot UI Tuner
This tiny utility gives you lots of control over your boot options, including bringing back the Windows 7 boot loader.
PC World - One thing you might have noticed about Windows 8 is its new boot loader (i.e. the screen that appears shortly after you start your PC). It has a graphical interface, which is nice, but it's not great for anyone who prefers a dual- or multi-boot setup, and it also makes it a little harder to get to advanced boot options.
Boot UI Tuner is a free utility that gives you greater control over Windows 8's boot options. (WARNING: When you click through to the developer's download page, make sure you don't click the blue Download button. That's an ad banner. Instead, scroll down near the bottom of the page and choose the gray Download button.)
This tiny, portable program (meaning it doesn't need to be installed--you simply run it) comes in both 32- and 64-bit versions.
When you first go to run it, you'll likely encounter interference from Windows 8's SmartScreen, which will tag it as an "unknown" program and prevent it from loading. However, you can click More Info and then Run Anyway to get things moving.
From there, it's simply a matter of selecting or de-selecting various options. For example, you can turn off three default items--Enable Windows logo, Enable messages, and Enable loading circle--in an effort to speed boot performance and minimize screen clutter.
Mostly, however, you'll probably want to enable the top two self-explanatory options: Enable advanced options of boot menu and Enable editing of boot options at startup.
If you want to go old-school, click Enable legacy boot menu to see the familiar Windows 7-style boot loader.
Once you've chosen your options, click Apply and then reboot.
Does anyone else find it interesting (or frustrating, or annoying) that you have to jump through hoops to get Windows 8 to behave the way you want it to? Or is that just the nature of any operating system?
Contributing EditorA Rick BroidaA writes about business and consumer technology. Ask for help with your PC hassles atA email@example.com, or try the treasure trove of helpful folks in theA PCWorld Forums.A Sign up to have theA Hassle-Free PC newsletterA e-mailed to you each week.
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Tablet, Laptop, or Desktop - Form (Factor) Follows Function Desktops, laptops, Ultrabooks, tablets, convertibles, and all-in-ones; suddenly hardware decisions seem a lot more complicated. To take advantage of these benefits, the savviest...
- The IT handbook for Windows 7 and Windows 8 migrations A comprehensive guide for IT departments making the switch from legacy versions of Microsoft Windows to Windows 7 and Windows 8. To date,...
- 7 Reasons Why Windows 8 is the Future Touch, cloud, BYOD and IT consumerization dominate the mindshare of IT managers. Windows 8 enters the scene with a host of features that...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts