Customize Windows 8's boot screen with Boot UI Tuner
This tiny utility gives you lots of control over your boot options, including bringing back the Windows 7 boot loader.
PC World - One thing you might have noticed about Windows 8 is its new boot loader (i.e. the screen that appears shortly after you start your PC). It has a graphical interface, which is nice, but it's not great for anyone who prefers a dual- or multi-boot setup, and it also makes it a little harder to get to advanced boot options.
Boot UI Tuner is a free utility that gives you greater control over Windows 8's boot options. (WARNING: When you click through to the developer's download page, make sure you don't click the blue Download button. That's an ad banner. Instead, scroll down near the bottom of the page and choose the gray Download button.)
This tiny, portable program (meaning it doesn't need to be installed--you simply run it) comes in both 32- and 64-bit versions.
When you first go to run it, you'll likely encounter interference from Windows 8's SmartScreen, which will tag it as an "unknown" program and prevent it from loading. However, you can click More Info and then Run Anyway to get things moving.
From there, it's simply a matter of selecting or de-selecting various options. For example, you can turn off three default items--Enable Windows logo, Enable messages, and Enable loading circle--in an effort to speed boot performance and minimize screen clutter.
Mostly, however, you'll probably want to enable the top two self-explanatory options: Enable advanced options of boot menu and Enable editing of boot options at startup.
If you want to go old-school, click Enable legacy boot menu to see the familiar Windows 7-style boot loader.
Once you've chosen your options, click Apply and then reboot.
Does anyone else find it interesting (or frustrating, or annoying) that you have to jump through hoops to get Windows 8 to behave the way you want it to? Or is that just the nature of any operating system?
Contributing EditorA Rick BroidaA writes about business and consumer technology. Ask for help with your PC hassles atA email@example.com, or try the treasure trove of helpful folks in theA PCWorld Forums.A Sign up to have theA Hassle-Free PC newsletterA e-mailed to you each week.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts