App downloads set one-week record of 1.7B
Analytics company Flurry pegs device activations at 50M
Computerworld - Smartphone and tablet owners downloaded a record 1.76 billion iOS and Android apps during the week of Dec. 25 to Dec. 31, a mobile analytics company said Wednesday.
According to San Francisco-based Flurry, which projected total downloads using data it collected from more than 260,000 apps that use its software, the seven-day tally easily trumped the 1.2 billion iOS and Android apps downloaded during the same period in December 2011.
The 2012 one-week record was also 65% higher than the average of two "benchmark" weeks leading up to Christmas, said Flurry, and was accompanied by 50 million iOS and Android smartphone and tablet activations.
Both the holiday-week increase and activations topped what Flurry reported in 2011, when it said the Dec. 25-31 week recorded a 60% boost over benchmarks, and saw 20 million devices activated.
Last week, Peter Farago, Flurry's chief marketing officer, touted Christmas Day data, again noting new records.
Then, Flurry estimated that 328 million iOS and Android apps were downloaded on Dec. 25 alone, a 36% increase over the same day in 2011, and that 17.4 million iOS and Android devices were activated in the same 24 hour period, more than double the 6.8 million in 2011.
Looking down the road, Flurry forecast even bigger numbers for the 2013 holidays. "[We] expect the trend of one-billion-download weeks to become the norm, and that the industry will surpass the two-billion-download week during Q4," wrote Farago in a blog post.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts