App downloads set one-week record of 1.7B
Analytics company Flurry pegs device activations at 50M
Computerworld - Smartphone and tablet owners downloaded a record 1.76 billion iOS and Android apps during the week of Dec. 25 to Dec. 31, a mobile analytics company said Wednesday.
According to San Francisco-based Flurry, which projected total downloads using data it collected from more than 260,000 apps that use its software, the seven-day tally easily trumped the 1.2 billion iOS and Android apps downloaded during the same period in December 2011.
The 2012 one-week record was also 65% higher than the average of two "benchmark" weeks leading up to Christmas, said Flurry, and was accompanied by 50 million iOS and Android smartphone and tablet activations.
Both the holiday-week increase and activations topped what Flurry reported in 2011, when it said the Dec. 25-31 week recorded a 60% boost over benchmarks, and saw 20 million devices activated.
Last week, Peter Farago, Flurry's chief marketing officer, touted Christmas Day data, again noting new records.
Then, Flurry estimated that 328 million iOS and Android apps were downloaded on Dec. 25 alone, a 36% increase over the same day in 2011, and that 17.4 million iOS and Android devices were activated in the same 24 hour period, more than double the 6.8 million in 2011.
Looking down the road, Flurry forecast even bigger numbers for the 2013 holidays. "[We] expect the trend of one-billion-download weeks to become the norm, and that the industry will surpass the two-billion-download week during Q4," wrote Farago in a blog post.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!