Imation buys solid-state storage vendor Nexsan
The company expects that the $120 million deal will help it expand into the small and medium-size business market
IDG News Service - Imation, a storage and data security company, has acquired Nexsan, a vendor of disk-based storage systems, in a deal worth about $120 million, the company announced.
The acquisition of Nexsan gives Imation a portfolio of disk-based and hybrid disk and solid-state storage systems, Imation said Wednesday. Nexsan, based in Thousand Oaks, California, has more than 11,000 customers worldwide.
Imation expects the deal to accelerate its growth in the small and medium-size business and distributed enterprise storage markets, the company said.
One of Imation's priorities will be to focus on the "underserved SMB market with purpose-built storage systems and appliances," Mark Lucas, president and CEO of Imation, said in a statement. A "This is a market that Nexsan knows well."
The transaction included about $105 million in cash and 3.3 million shares of Imation common stock, worth about $15 million.
Nexsan had revenue of $82 million in 2011.Approximately 200 employees, based in the U.S., U.K. and Canada, joined Imation with this acquisition. A The Nexsan business will continue to operate from Nexsan's current headquarters under existing management, Imation said.A
Imation will consider integration of Nexsan with its tiered storage and security business in the first quarter of this year.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts