120-plus heads of state using Twitter, study says
President Obama is the most-followed head of state worldwide, with over 24.6 million followers on Twitter
IDG News Service - There were 123 heads of state and governments using Twitter to communicate with citizens and the rest of the world as of December 2012, a think tank said Tuesday.
The number is up 78 percent on 2011, according to a study released on Tuesday by the Digital Policy Council (DPC), an international think thank that has been tracking governments' Twitter activity since 2009. Of the 123 tweeting heads of state, 32 were represented by government accounts that use Twitter on behalf of the head of state, the DPC said.
While the United Nations has 193 member states, the DPC only studied Twitter use in 164. It monitored countries with a population of over 500,000, the same ones included in the Polity IV dataset of political regimes tracked by the U.S. government's Political Instability Task Force. DPC chose that dataset because it wanted to compare politically stable countries, said Omar Hijazi, managing partner of Digital Daya, of which the DPC is the research and public advocacy arm.
U.S. president Barack Obama (@BarackObama) was the most-followed head of state, with 24.6 million followers. He added 15 million followers in 2012, according to the study. His account, mainly managed by his staff and sometimes used by the president himself, broke a Twitter record when his election victory Twitter message, "Four more years", became the most retweeted Twitter message of all time, according to Twitter.
The second most-followed head of state on Twitter is president Hugo ChA!vez (@chavezcandanga) of Venezuela, with over 3.8 million followers. ChA!vez mainly used Twitter for communicating with his electorate when he found himself fighting an election campaign from his sick bed in Cuba, using the social network to challenge his opponent and fighting the rumors about his health, the DPC said.
President Abdullah GA1/4l (@cbabdullahgul) of Turkey ranked third. He tweets mainly in Turkish and gained over 2 million followers in 2012, reaching a total of over 2.5 million.
The most-followed woman on the list is Queen Rania Al Abdullah (@QueenRania), who as a queen consort of King Abdullah II of Jordan is not a head of state herself. She is included in the list though, because she used her account as a political channel to represent the viewpoints of the king in the past, Hijazi said. And although her political messages have dwindled, her tweets are still "very much related to the policies of the head of state," he added.
Her account gained over a million followers in 2012, reaching a total of almost 2.5 million. She describes herself as "a mum and a wife with a really cool day job" in her Twitter profile.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media
- This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and... All Government IT White Papers
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- All Government IT Webcasts