Report predicts wave of tech divestitures in 2013
Cheap credit and the move to cloud computing are among the factors, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers
IDG News Service - A number of signs suggest that next year will see a surge in tech companies selling off assets and product lines for both financial and strategic reasons, according to a recent report by consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers.
"PwC has witnessed an increase in client discussions related to divestiture planning," he report states. "In addition, in a polling conducted of 30 percent of the Fortune 1000 technology companies, approximately 75 percent of these businesses indicated they expect to engage in divestiture activity in the next 12 months."
There are several reasons why tech companies seek to unload parts of their operations, according to the report.
For example, a company that has ventured into adjacent product areas may wish to return to its core markets, the report states. Tech companies might also sell assets in order to fund higher priority projects.
In other cases, a divestiture may be "mandatory, such as when significant acquisitions are approved by U.S. governing bodies (e.g., the Department of Justice) upon condition of divesting certain assets post acquisition," the report states.
But a more general reason to expect an uptick is divestitures is the long run of consolidation seen in the tech industry over the past decade: "This period of inorganic growth and expansion has masked the need for systematic reassessment of products and services of acquired companies."
Broad shifts in the tech industry, such as the move to cloud-based computing services and the consumerization of IT, are other influencing factors behind the coming divestiture wave, according to the report.
Low interest rates for borrowing will also help spark deals: "Tech-focused private equity firms are in a position to buy up divestiture candidates so long as valuation expectations from would-be sellers dont hamper expected returns."
If the report's predictions come true, there would be implications for IT organizations as products they use change hands, leading to potential uncertainty over road maps, pricing, contracts and other factors.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- ESG Lab Validation of QLogic's Caching SAN Adapter
- ESG details the results of their testing of QLogic's new 10000 Series 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter with a focus on scalable database performance...
- Deliver Customer Value with Big Data Analytics
- Big Data requires that companies adopt a different method in understanding today's consumer. Read this white paper to learn why Big Data is...
- Cloud Analytics for the Masses
- Learn the best practices in building applications that can leverage volume, variety and velocity of Big Data for organizations of any size.
- An Interactive eGuide: DDoS Attacks
- In today's world, Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks on organizations are becoming more prevalent. The number of attacks are increasingly annually with...
- The Total Economic Impact of Mimecast's Unified Email Management (UEM) Solution
- This research provides a framework to evaluate the potential financial impact of unifying your email management in the cloud. Learn More. All Financial IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth? All Financial IT Webcasts