BlackBerry 10 handsets enter FCC database
The two phones include one that supports AT&T's LTE service
IDG News Service - A month ahead of the launch of Research In Motion's BlackBerry 10 operating system, a couple of handsets running the OS have appeared in a U.S. radio regulatory database.
There's not much about the phones that can be gathered from the documents, which appeared in the Federal Communications Commission's database of devices that have passed regulatory testing. Several years ago, the documents provided an early look at upcoming handsets, but the FCC began allowing companies to request that photos and user manuals are kept from public view until the devices are launched.
The former is compatible with both North American and international GSM and WCDMA frequencies as well as LTE bands 3, 7, 8 and 20. It also includes WiFi, Bluetooth and an NFC (near-field communication) chip.
The latter has all of the same cellular and low-power wireless support but differs in its LTE coverage. It is compatible with LTE bands 2, 4, 5 and 17. That makes it technically compatible with AT&T's network in the U.S., although there is no indication in the documents of where it will be sold or on which carriers.
RIM is scheduled to unveil the first handsets running BlackBerry 10 at an event in New York on Jan. 30.
The carrier has already shown off development phones running pre-release versions of the new OS.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!