BlackBerry 10 handsets enter FCC database
The two phones include one that supports AT&T's LTE service
IDG News Service - A month ahead of the launch of Research In Motion's BlackBerry 10 operating system, a couple of handsets running the OS have appeared in a U.S. radio regulatory database.
There's not much about the phones that can be gathered from the documents, which appeared in the Federal Communications Commission's database of devices that have passed regulatory testing. Several years ago, the documents provided an early look at upcoming handsets, but the FCC began allowing companies to request that photos and user manuals are kept from public view until the devices are launched.
The former is compatible with both North American and international GSM and WCDMA frequencies as well as LTE bands 3, 7, 8 and 20. It also includes WiFi, Bluetooth and an NFC (near-field communication) chip.
The latter has all of the same cellular and low-power wireless support but differs in its LTE coverage. It is compatible with LTE bands 2, 4, 5 and 17. That makes it technically compatible with AT&T's network in the U.S., although there is no indication in the documents of where it will be sold or on which carriers.
RIM is scheduled to unveil the first handsets running BlackBerry 10 at an event in New York on Jan. 30.
The carrier has already shown off development phones running pre-release versions of the new OS.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 3 Keys to Secure BYOD Deployment The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense Don't lose time and money with a "throw an app against a wall to see if sticks" approach to mobile. You need a...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed in recent years, and it continues to escalate.
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.