YouTube, briefly restored, blocked again in Pakistan
Pakistan prime minister orders continued ban on Google-owned video-sharing service on Saturday
IDG News Service - Pakistan reinstated its YouTube ban on Saturday after it was briefly lifted, reportedly without approval from the country's prime minister, local media reported.
The country's federal interior minister, Rehman Malik, wrote on Twitter on Friday that the three-month ban on Google's video-sharing service would be lifted after great demand from "all sections of society." YouTube was then restored on Saturday for around three hours, according to The Express Tribune.
But the ban was restored by the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) on orders from Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, the publication reported.
Ashraf ordered YouTube to be blocked on Sept. 17 after Google refused to remove a controversial movie trailer mocking the Prophet Muhammad, which sparked violent protests in several countries around U.S. consulates and embassies, including Pakistan.
Google restricted viewing of the 14-minute trailer in India, Libya and Egypt and Indonesia, but left it online in most countries. The company contends the video does not violate its guidelines.
The PTA's technical inability to block just the video in question led to the entire YouTube ban being reinstated, The Express Tribune reported.
Malik later wrote on Friday on Twitter that the PTA was finalizing negotiations to acquire "powerful firewall software" that can block pornographic and blasphemous material, hinting at the possibility of a more granular response to content deemed offensive in the country.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!