YouTube, briefly restored, blocked again in Pakistan
Pakistan prime minister orders continued ban on Google-owned video-sharing service on Saturday
IDG News Service - Pakistan reinstated its YouTube ban on Saturday after it was briefly lifted, reportedly without approval from the country's prime minister, local media reported.
The country's federal interior minister, Rehman Malik, wrote on Twitter on Friday that the three-month ban on Google's video-sharing service would be lifted after great demand from "all sections of society." YouTube was then restored on Saturday for around three hours, according to The Express Tribune.
But the ban was restored by the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) on orders from Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, the publication reported.
Ashraf ordered YouTube to be blocked on Sept. 17 after Google refused to remove a controversial movie trailer mocking the Prophet Muhammad, which sparked violent protests in several countries around U.S. consulates and embassies, including Pakistan.
Google restricted viewing of the 14-minute trailer in India, Libya and Egypt and Indonesia, but left it online in most countries. The company contends the video does not violate its guidelines.
The PTA's technical inability to block just the video in question led to the entire YouTube ban being reinstated, The Express Tribune reported.
Malik later wrote on Friday on Twitter that the PTA was finalizing negotiations to acquire "powerful firewall software" that can block pornographic and blasphemous material, hinting at the possibility of a more granular response to content deemed offensive in the country.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts