Samsung, LG set for TV battle at CES
LG will use NFC to make content sharing between TVs and other devices easier
IDG News Service - LG Electronics is hoping to make its smart TVs more attractive by making it easier to share and find content, while Samsung Electronics is only hinting at what its plans are for 2013.
The TV market is highly competitive and vendors are doing their best to differentiate their products from the competition, or at least not fall behind.
Samsung and LG will both present new TV hardware and software at the International CES trade show in Las Vegas next month.
LG's TVs will make it easier to share content with a feature called Tag On, which uses NFC (near-field communication) to connect a TV with, for example, a smartphone.
To connect, users just have to hold a smartphone or some other NFC-enabled device against an NFC sticker on the TV, the company said on Monday.
A recommendation function called On Now will suggest trending on-demand and broadcast content. Results pop up in thumbnail images, making it faster and easier for the viewer to make a selection, according to LG.
The TVs will also have thinner bezels, the frames that surround TV screens.
LG has already announced that its 2013 lineup will include two new Google TVs called the GA7900 and GA6400. Its TVs will also get better support for speech recognition, thanks in part to a new remote.
Samsung, on the other hand, is still keeping its new offerings under wraps.
Last week, the company posted a teaser on Youtube, which didn't provide any details beyond the arrival of a new product that by the looks of it still has a bezel. The set will have an "unprecedented new TV shape," according to Samsung's official blog.
The next 12 months could have some interesting developments in store for consumers with the arrival of more Ultra HD and OLED TVs. But the big question is still if Apple will finally reveal its own TV.
Samsung and LG both have launch events planned for Jan. 7 where they will announce their new products.
CES takes place between Jan. 8 and Jan. 11 in Las Vegas.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Dude, we're gonna need more wireless
- Is CES a thieves' paradise?
- Tablets, smartphones and TVs upstage PCs at CES
- IPv6 can boost mobile performance, battery life, proponents say
- HomePlug moving beyond adapters to built-in networking
- GoPro, iON cameras turn your life into a movie
- CES crowd likes FCC's Wi-Fi expansion plans
- Micron unveils its first 1TB SSD -- for under $600
- Video gallery: 2013 CES
- Augmented reality mobile app brings inanimate objects to life
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts