U.S. e-book reading up, print readership declines
Pew survey finds that 23% of Americans read an e-book in the last 12 months
IDG News Service - More Americans read e-books in the last year, with 23% of those ages 16 and over going digital, compared to 16% in the previous survey for the Pew Internet & American Life Project, which released its latest results on e-book readership Thursday.
The rise coincided with a larger percentage jump in e-reading device ownership. Those owning a tablet computer such as an iPad or Galaxy Tab, or an e-reader such as a Kindle or Nook, rose to 33% late this year compared to 18% in late 2011. As of November, a quarter of Americans 16 and older owned a tablet, up from 10 percent in late 2011, while 19 % owned an e-reader, up from 10% in the previous survey.
The survey also found that those who read books in print declined to 67% from 72%. The overall number of book readers, however, remained at 75%, down from 78% in late 2011, a drop that study authors Lee Rainie and Maeve Duggan termed "statistically insignificant." Rainie is director of the Pew Internet Project and Duggan is a research assistant.
Those with college or graduate degrees, those in households with income of more than $75,000, and those between the ages of 30 and 49, are most likely to read e-books.
Thirty-percent of all book readers said they read an e-book in the last year, while 89% read a printed book and 17% listened to an audio book, the survey found.
A larger share of library users also borrowed e-books, 5%t compared to 3% last year. Awareness that libraries lend e-books also rose, with 31% who were surveyed saying they knew that libraries did so, up from 24% late last year.
The Pew Research Center, in Washington, D.C., surveyed 2,252 Americans 16 and older between Oct. 15 and Nov. 10 this year.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts