Answer Line: I must run this program on computers other than my own
Lyman E Bertsch needs to run an application on a relative's computer. Installing the program isn't an option.
PC World - Lyman E Bertsch needs to run an application on a relative's computer. Installing the program isn't an option. Can Lyman run the program off a flash drive?
Probably not. But you may be able to find another program that does the same thing, but that you can run off a flash drive.
We call these programs portable, because they can be easily moved between computers and don't need to be installed. You can carry these on a portable storage device, such as a flash drive, and run them on any Windows PC. And you would be amazed how much portable software is out there.
A lot of portable programs are diagnostic or repair-oriented in nature. This allows you to take your flash drive to the home of a friend or relative with a misbehaving PC, plug it in, and diagnose their sick computer. For some suggestions in this area, go to the article The Bootable Maintenance Flash Drive, and scroll down to the heading "Extra Tools for Your Flash Drive."
Use a search engine to find a portable program that does what you need. Search for the word portable, along with the type of software; for instance, portable genealogy software.
I used that example because Lyman specifically asked about genealogy software. I found several, two of which seemed to have good reputations: Gramps Portable and ScionPC. (I have no experience with genealogy software, so please don't consider these to be my personal recommendations.)
And here's something else you might consider: PortableApps. This free portable program organizes and helps you launch other portable programs. You can install other portable programs into PortableApps (and no, that doesn't involve installing them into Windows). Then launch the programs from inside.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts