IT manager's revitalization guide 2013
Take a moment to retool your personal and professional priorities with some of our most insightful tech management articles
Computerworld - For seasoned and new IT leaders alike, it's always a good idea to pause and take stock of your professional and personal progress as an IT manager.
Take a few moments to read through the best of Computerworld's management and career articles, or click a link below to skip directly to your chosen topic.
- Embrace big ideas
- Build productive relationships
- Be a better boss
- Take care of your career
- Make a big move
- Try something completely different
Embrace big ideas
Maximize the return on your investments in disruptive trends like big data, cloud computing and mobility.
Some companies have discovered that the benefits of sharing data more widely are well worth the costs and effort.
The consumerization of IT has some managers giving up gatekeeping. The result? More productive employees, more rewarding tech jobs.
When the last Cobol programmers walk out the door, so may 50 years of business processes within the software they created. Will you be ready?
Tech-savvy employees have long bypassed IT to get their hands on hot technologies. Rather than standing in the way, smart CIOs are now embracing and even encouraging shadow IT.
Despite the talent shortage, some managers still search for employees with an impossible set of skills. Instead, they should work to improve the talent they have.
Companies like Google and 3M give tech workers free time to follow their passions. Could it work for your organization?
Users are demanding their own smartphones, and support-weary IT is only too happy to hand over the reins.
Sometimes not adopting a hot new technology is the wisest business decision you can make. Four CIOs tell their tales.
You want the best and the brightest money can buy. Or do you? In fact, you're better served by a group of developers with mixed skill levels who focus on getting the job done.
Idea management can help your organization stay competitive. Here are 10 best practices for getting the most from it.
Barraged with requests for mobile, social and analytics apps, IT must prioritize projects to give the business what it wants.
- Whitepaper: Workday User Experience Read the whitepaper to find out how the Workday user experience is singularly focused on extending access to every user while ensuring simplicity...
- Whitepaper: The Real SaaS Manifesto This whitepaper defines the key terms every company should know, understand, and evaluate when considering a SaaS vendor for their business.
- Whitepaper: Real CIOs of the Cloud As cloud computing becomes the dominant technology of this decade, today's CIOs are the catalysts for change. This whitepaper published by Techweb features...
- Why You Need a Next-Generation Firewall This white paper explores the reasons for implementing next-generation (NG) firewalls and lays out a path to success for overburdened IT organizations.
- Delivering Events of Olympic Proportions Akamai was selected to provide online video streaming delivery, site performance, and security services to NBC Olympics during its production of the 2014...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect... All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts