Web sites go dark to honor Sandy Hook victims
Sites like Huffington Post, Foursquare and Funny or Die mark moment of silence
Computerworld - A long list of Web sites went dark for one minute at 9:30 a.m. ET today to mark a moment of silence for the 26 women and children who were murdered a week ago at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
Earlier this week, Connecticut Governor Daniel Malloy asked the nation to pause for a collective moment of silence to honor the victims of the shooting. Then a campaign, called Web Goes Silent, was launched to ask Internet users to take a five-minute break from their online activities. Using the hashtag #momentforsandyhook, that meant no posting on Facebook, no tweeting, no email.
Web sites participating in the online moment of silence included Foursquare, the Huffington Post, Adobe, Funny or Die, E! Online and Digg.
Using the site causes.com , Ron Conway, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist, has been putting his muscle behind the moment of silence campaign, along with an effort to expand federal gun control legislation. Conway has been joined by other prominent names like online entrepreneur Sean Parker, Twitter creator Jack Dorsey and the founder and CEO of salesforce.com, Marc Benioff.
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research, said he's glad to see social media being used to bring people together for a good cause - the remembrance of victims.
"I think it was very respectful for Web sites to take a moment," he said. "It's very good to see that social media isn't just for Justin Bieber posts. I think what this group of companies showed is that they are tied into real world, real life events. And when the need arises, they have their own form of showing respect and honoring tragedies."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!