Nokia settles Wi-Fi patent disputes with RIM
The Finnish phone maker will receive an undisclosed one-time payment as well as on-going payments
IDG News Service - Nokia has signed a new patent license agreement with Research In Motion, which will end all existing patent litigation between the two companies.
RIM will make a one-time payment and on-going payments to Nokia, but the specific financial terms of the agreement are confidential, Nokia said in a statement on Friday.
The deal seems to have come together quickly.
In November, Nokia asked a California court to enforce an arbitration award that could have prevented RIM from selling products with wireless LAN capabilities until the companies agreed on patent royalty rates, according to documents obtained by IDG News Service.
Nokia said it was happy with the deal, and will look for other ways to make money from its patent portfolio in future. RIM declined to comment.
RIM reported falling unit sales for its fiscal third quarter on Thursday, further highlighting the importance of its upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.
Both RIM and Nokia have an important year in front of them; Nokia needs to sell more smartphones based on Microsoft's Windows Phone platform than it managed this year and RIM will have to turn BlackBerry 10 into a hit.
"Doing that is absolutely critical for their survival. If RIM and Nokia are going to continue to exist in their current forms they need their respective platforms to be a success," said Ben Wood , director of research at CCS Insight.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts