Nokia settles Wi-Fi patent disputes with RIM
The Finnish phone maker will receive an undisclosed one-time payment as well as on-going payments
IDG News Service - Nokia has signed a new patent license agreement with Research In Motion, which will end all existing patent litigation between the two companies.
RIM will make a one-time payment and on-going payments to Nokia, but the specific financial terms of the agreement are confidential, Nokia said in a statement on Friday.
The deal seems to have come together quickly.
In November, Nokia asked a California court to enforce an arbitration award that could have prevented RIM from selling products with wireless LAN capabilities until the companies agreed on patent royalty rates, according to documents obtained by IDG News Service.
Nokia said it was happy with the deal, and will look for other ways to make money from its patent portfolio in future. RIM declined to comment.
RIM reported falling unit sales for its fiscal third quarter on Thursday, further highlighting the importance of its upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.
Both RIM and Nokia have an important year in front of them; Nokia needs to sell more smartphones based on Microsoft's Windows Phone platform than it managed this year and RIM will have to turn BlackBerry 10 into a hit.
"Doing that is absolutely critical for their survival. If RIM and Nokia are going to continue to exist in their current forms they need their respective platforms to be a success," said Ben Wood , director of research at CCS Insight.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!