Nokia settles Wi-Fi patent disputes with RIM
The Finnish phone maker will receive an undisclosed one-time payment as well as on-going payments
IDG News Service - Nokia has signed a new patent license agreement with Research In Motion, which will end all existing patent litigation between the two companies.
RIM will make a one-time payment and on-going payments to Nokia, but the specific financial terms of the agreement are confidential, Nokia said in a statement on Friday.
The deal seems to have come together quickly.
In November, Nokia asked a California court to enforce an arbitration award that could have prevented RIM from selling products with wireless LAN capabilities until the companies agreed on patent royalty rates, according to documents obtained by IDG News Service.
Nokia said it was happy with the deal, and will look for other ways to make money from its patent portfolio in future. RIM declined to comment.
RIM reported falling unit sales for its fiscal third quarter on Thursday, further highlighting the importance of its upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.
Both RIM and Nokia have an important year in front of them; Nokia needs to sell more smartphones based on Microsoft's Windows Phone platform than it managed this year and RIM will have to turn BlackBerry 10 into a hit.
"Doing that is absolutely critical for their survival. If RIM and Nokia are going to continue to exist in their current forms they need their respective platforms to be a success," said Ben Wood , director of research at CCS Insight.
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!