Wells Fargo's website buckles under flood of traffic
Customers who can't access the website should go to a branch or bank over the phone, Wells Fargo said
IDG News Service - Well Fargo urged its customers on Thursday to visit bank branches or use telephone banking due to continuing problems with its website.
In a statement, a bank spokeswoman described the issue as "an unusually high volume of traffic" that is causing slow or intermittent access to its website.
"The vast majority of customers are not impacted, but for those who are, we encourage them to access their accounts through our stores, ATMs or by phone as we work to resolve the issue," she wrote.
Wells Fargo is one of several banks that have been targeted with distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attacks over the last several months, which seek to jam websites with traffic to make them unavailable.
A group calling itself the "Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters" launched attacks against Wells Fargo and other financial institutions in September following the publication of a 14-minute video trailer insulting the Prophet Muhammed. Wells Fargo apologized at the time for the disruptions.
The video, which appeared on YouTube, has been removed by Google in some countries since it violates local law, but the company has left it up in most countries since it does not violate its guidelines.
The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters Group posted a message on Pastebin on Tuesday, saying that it intends to continue to launch attacks against financial institutions until the video is removed.
It warned this week's attacks will be on the same scale as last week. Arbor Networks, a networking security company, said some of the DDOS attacks peaked at 60Gbps, up from an average attack rate of just 1.67 Gbps in September. The attackers are employing a tool called Brobot that sends specially crafted DNS (Domain Name System) packets, the company said.
Other banks targeted include U.S. Bancorp, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, PNC Financial Services Group and SunTrust Banks.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts