Cybercriminals are increasingly using drive-by downloads to distribute malware without end users knowing something bad has just landed on their machine--until it's too late. Here are six ways IT departments can protect end users from the productivity sink and potential data loss that drive-by downloads create.
As email phishing operations have grown more sophisticated and convincing, it's harder for even savvy corporate email users to determine whether an email is authentic or fake. Here, CIO.com presents an example of a particularly convincing phishing email. We asked, Daniel Peck, a research scientist with email security company Barracuda Networks, to offer tips on how to spot a scam.
When hackers attack a company's systems and steal your personal data, what risk does that pose to you and other victims? How much is your name and email address worth to cybercriminals anyway? To find out what's really at stake, CIO.com asked security experts six key questions about data security breaches.
A company's domain name is one of its most valuable assets, yet businesses do little to protect them from being hijacked. As DNS hijacking becomes more prevalent, IT leaders need to understand how they can protect their companies from the damages domain hijacking wreaks. Here are four tips.
The complex and ever-changing security landscape can befuddle small businesses, and the plain truth is that there is no silver security bullet. Small businesses would be well-advised to deploy a multi-faceted security strategy. Here are eight must-have checklist items.
Small USB flash drives can cause big security headaches. Learn how four very different organizations have managed to balance the need to allow employees to transfer files for legitimate business purposes with the need to prevent data leaks.
Your sensitive data is only as secure as the weakest link in your organization, and in many cases the weak link is your employees. A properly established security awareness and training program can pay huge dividends.
What LinkedIn and other recent breaches tell us about widespread security risks as we embrace social media and cloud applications in the enterprise.
If you're not a fan of the new Facebook Timeline design, beware of bogus Facebook groups and pages promising a return to the old design.
Drive-by downloads are coming to your smartphone, and they're harder to detect than traditional PC-based versions. Here's how you can protect yourself, your users and your enterprise from mobile drive-by downloads.
Much of an organization's most sensitive information resides in unstructured files and documents that are commonly subject to data loss and leakage--especially in today's mobile, Web-based world. IT pros must develop an approach to securing these documents that gives the business the control it needs without stymying employees' productivity.
The number of malnets has jumped 300 percent in the past six months, according to security firm Blue Coat Systems. While they are nearly impossible to kill, there are steps you can take to protect your organization.
Thor Olavsrud covers IT Security, Big Data, Open Source, Microsoft Tools and Servers for CIO.com. Follow Thor on Twitter @ThorOlavsrud. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook. Email Thor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about security in CIO's Security Drilldown.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts