Cybercriminals are increasingly using drive-by downloads to distribute malware without end users knowing something bad has just landed on their machine--until it's too late. Here are six ways IT departments can protect end users from the productivity sink and potential data loss that drive-by downloads create.
As email phishing operations have grown more sophisticated and convincing, it's harder for even savvy corporate email users to determine whether an email is authentic or fake. Here, CIO.com presents an example of a particularly convincing phishing email. We asked, Daniel Peck, a research scientist with email security company Barracuda Networks, to offer tips on how to spot a scam.
When hackers attack a company's systems and steal your personal data, what risk does that pose to you and other victims? How much is your name and email address worth to cybercriminals anyway? To find out what's really at stake, CIO.com asked security experts six key questions about data security breaches.
A company's domain name is one of its most valuable assets, yet businesses do little to protect them from being hijacked. As DNS hijacking becomes more prevalent, IT leaders need to understand how they can protect their companies from the damages domain hijacking wreaks. Here are four tips.
The complex and ever-changing security landscape can befuddle small businesses, and the plain truth is that there is no silver security bullet. Small businesses would be well-advised to deploy a multi-faceted security strategy. Here are eight must-have checklist items.
Small USB flash drives can cause big security headaches. Learn how four very different organizations have managed to balance the need to allow employees to transfer files for legitimate business purposes with the need to prevent data leaks.
Your sensitive data is only as secure as the weakest link in your organization, and in many cases the weak link is your employees. A properly established security awareness and training program can pay huge dividends.
What LinkedIn and other recent breaches tell us about widespread security risks as we embrace social media and cloud applications in the enterprise.
If you're not a fan of the new Facebook Timeline design, beware of bogus Facebook groups and pages promising a return to the old design.
Drive-by downloads are coming to your smartphone, and they're harder to detect than traditional PC-based versions. Here's how you can protect yourself, your users and your enterprise from mobile drive-by downloads.
Much of an organization's most sensitive information resides in unstructured files and documents that are commonly subject to data loss and leakage--especially in today's mobile, Web-based world. IT pros must develop an approach to securing these documents that gives the business the control it needs without stymying employees' productivity.
The number of malnets has jumped 300 percent in the past six months, according to security firm Blue Coat Systems. While they are nearly impossible to kill, there are steps you can take to protect your organization.
Thor Olavsrud covers IT Security, Big Data, Open Source, Microsoft Tools and Servers for CIO.com. Follow Thor on Twitter @ThorOlavsrud. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook. Email Thor at email@example.com
Read more about security in CIO's Security Drilldown.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!