Oracle buys Eloqua for marketing software in $871 million deal
The move follows Oracle's purchase of Buddy Media and will shore up its defenses against Salesforce.com
IDG News Service - Oracle has agreed to acquire Eloqua for about $871 million in a bid to build out a set of marketing automation software.
Eloqua's board has approved the deal and it is expected to close in the first half of next year, Oracle said Thursday.
Earlier this year, Oracle announced a new product initiative centered on "customer experience." A relatively new term in the CRM (customer relationship management) software arena, customer experience refers to the notion of providing a much more personalized approach to marketing and support, particularly through the use of social media.
The Eloqua deal builds upon Oracle's previous acquisitions of Vitrue and RightNow. Oracle is closely competing with cloud CRM vendor Salesforce.com, which has made similar acquisitions of social media marketing technologies.
Modern marketing practices are "a critical area of investment for companies today," said Thomas Kurian, executive vice president of Oracle Development, in a statement. "Eloqua's leading marketing automation cloud will become the centerpiece of the Oracle Marketing Cloud."
Using Eloqua's technology, "customers are better able to track, capture and analyze a potential buyer's Digital Body Language, including their preferences, behavior and decision-making processes, to more accurately score and qualify leads and identify high quality prospects," Oracle said in a FAQ document on the acquisition.
After the deal's close, Eloqua's platform will remain open to third-party applications, although Oracle "also expects to augment Eloqua with Oracle applications and technologies to engineer more complete customer solutions," according to the FAQ.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts