Google offers free Quickoffice app to Google Apps subscribers
The U.S. search giant said it has intergrated technology from its Quickoffice acquisition into Google Docs conversions
IDG News Service - Google has launched a free iPad app to allow its paying business customers to edit Microsoft Office documents.
The new offering from Google, a free version of the Quickoffice iPad app, is the latest development in an ongoing battle for mobile users of office software. Google acquired the makers of Quickoffice in June as part of its efforts to challenge Microsoft on the emerging tablet and smartphone platform.
The search giant said in a blog post Wednesday it will offer a version of Quickoffice at no charge to paying subscribers of Google Apps, its online bundle of applications for working with text, spreadsheet and presentation files. Quickoffice is an iPad app for creating and editing Microsoft documents that works with Google's online storage service, Google Drive.
Rumors persist that Microsoft will soon launch iOS and Android versions of its Office suite, though the company has denied comments by a subsidiary that such apps will come early next year. Microsoft's newly launched Office 365 subscription plans allow customers to install Office on multiple devices for a monthly fee, as opposed to buying the software outright.
In addition to the newly offered free version of the Quickoffice iPad app made available to Google Apps subscribers, a paid version is still available for $7.99. Quickoffice emerged as a leading office suite on iOS for working with Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, before it was acquired by Google.
Google also said it has incorporated Quickoffice technology for converting documents from Microsoft formats into its Google Docs formats. The company showed an example of an Excel spreadsheet conversion that now includes images and charts when converted to Google's online format.
Earlier this month, Google said it will end a free version of Google Apps, which it had offered for a limited numbers of users since the launch of the suite in 2007. Google charges US$50 per user, per year, for its service.
Microsoft's Office 365 online service offers a plan from US$6 per user, per month.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts