With more and more companies storing more and more data and hoping to leverage it for actionable insights, Big Data is making a big splash these days. Open source technology is at the core of most Big Data initiatives. Here are nine key open source Big Data technologies to keep an eye on.
The amount of data in the world doubles every 18 months. Here's a look at eight real-world Big Data deployments in a variety of industries.
When it comes to Big Data, the financial services sector has been somewhat slow on the uptake. Neil Palmer, partner of SunGard Consulting Services' Advanced Technology Business, explains it as a cautious approach to innovation driven by the heavily regulated nature of the industry. Here are 10 trends that SunGard's Palmer says will shape Big Data initiatives across all segments of the financial services industry in 2012.
Big Data is coming, but for many organizations it's three-to-five years away. That doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare now. Analyzing Big Data will require reference information like that provided by a semantic data model. And once you mine the data, you need to secure it.
A new study suggests many organizations are concerned about managing Big Data, but most don't have a clear understanding of what Big Data means. Log management solutions can help organizations make sense of some of the data they're generating, but many resort to syslogs, spreadsheets or nothing at all.
Equifax, the giant credit bureau, is using Big Data to create new analytics products from 800 billion business and consumer records worldwide. Its CIO says, 'We know more about you than you would care for us to know.'
Big data is breathing new life into business intelligence by putting the power of prediction into the hands of everyday decision-makers.
A lot of hype surrounds the term Big Data, but there's also a lot of action. Like the Oakland Athletics under Billy Beane in the Moneyball era, a majority of organizations today are making the transition to a culture that leverages data and analytics to increase revenue and improve efficiency.
Developing a winning Big Data strategy is challenging because it is as much about getting ahead of the trend and acquiring talent as it is about investing in new technology. To be successful you will need Data Scientists on your team, professionals who are adept with the analytical and visualization tools required to process and recognize patterns in data and who are equally comfortable with business concepts and operations. EMC's Howard Elias recommends three steps to help ensure your organization has the people it needs.
Doug Cutting, creator of Hadoop and founder of the Apache Hadoop Project, says Big Data is not hype and it's not a bubble. He lays out his vision of how Hadoop will become the Holy Grail of Big Data systems.
While still in its infancy, Big Data helps companies on the cutting edge of customer experience figure out why some customers leave and how to stop others before they do.
You may not think you have petabytes of data worth analyzing, but you will, if you don't already. CIO magazine breaks down the 5 things CIOs need to know, now. As 2012 winds down, it's time to take a look at the year in Big Data. This year saw Big Data begin to emerge from the hype cycle, with more attention paid to how organizations can actually leverage their data assets to gain competitive advantage. Here are 12 of the most-read Big Data articles of 2012.
Thor Olavsrud covers IT Security, Big Data, Open Source, Microsoft Tools and Servers for CIO.com. Follow Thor on Twitter @ThorOlavsrud. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook. Email Thor at email@example.com
Read more about applications in CIO's Applications Drilldown.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts