Dell to buy security vendor Credant
Dell will add Credant's data protection technology to its stable of enterprise security offerings
IDG News Service - Dell has made a deal to acquire data-protection vendor Credant Technologies and plans to add the company's technology to its enterprise IT security offerings.
The companies did not disclose the terms of the deal. Credant, founded in 2001, is based in Addison, Texas, about 200 miles north of Dell's headquarters in Round Rock, Texas.
Credant sells software and services to encrypt data and keep it secure as it is moved across PCs, mobile devices, USB drives, cloud services and other locations. It offers a single console for data protection policies across all those platforms and says its software can coexist with existing enterprise management systems. The company claims it secures more than two million endpoints across industries including defense, health care, media and universities.
Dell said it will use Credant software to enhance the security capabilities of its Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision computers. Dell already has a joint development and OEM (original equipment manufacturer) agreement with Credant and uses the company's technology in its Dell Data Protection/Encryption product.
Prior to the Credant deal, Dell had already spent $4.9 billion on acquisitions this year to establish its enterprise credentials. Some analysts have said the company hasn't yet made the most of those new assets.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts