Dell to buy security vendor Credant
Dell will add Credant's data protection technology to its stable of enterprise security offerings
IDG News Service - Dell has made a deal to acquire data-protection vendor Credant Technologies and plans to add the company's technology to its enterprise IT security offerings.
The companies did not disclose the terms of the deal. Credant, founded in 2001, is based in Addison, Texas, about 200 miles north of Dell's headquarters in Round Rock, Texas.
Credant sells software and services to encrypt data and keep it secure as it is moved across PCs, mobile devices, USB drives, cloud services and other locations. It offers a single console for data protection policies across all those platforms and says its software can coexist with existing enterprise management systems. The company claims it secures more than two million endpoints across industries including defense, health care, media and universities.
Dell said it will use Credant software to enhance the security capabilities of its Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision computers. Dell already has a joint development and OEM (original equipment manufacturer) agreement with Credant and uses the company's technology in its Dell Data Protection/Encryption product.
Prior to the Credant deal, Dell had already spent $4.9 billion on acquisitions this year to establish its enterprise credentials. Some analysts have said the company hasn't yet made the most of those new assets.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts