Operators join forces to simplify international Wi-Fi roaming
Users will be able to access more hotspots in the same way they do at home
IDG News Service - A group of wireless operators including AT&T, Boingo Wireless, BT and China Mobile have joined forces to work on a common framework for Wi-Fi roaming to make it easier for users to access hotspots while travelling abroad.
Mobile operators have come to see public Wi-Fi as an important part of their networks as they face growing data usage volumes. But processes for users to connect to and roam on to Wi-Fi networks are still fragmented, according to the Wireless Broadband Association.
The industry organization leads the Wi-Fi Roaming Interoperability Compliancy Program (ICP), which aims to change that by specifying guidelines on user authentication, network selection and billing mechanisms. The goal is to make it easier for operators to enter into roaming agreements, it said.
Users will benefit from having access to an increased number of Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide, and users can also expect to be able to access hotspots in the same way they do at home.
The first trial of the program was launched on Dec. 17 and the plan is to launch it by May or June next year, according to the WBA. Some of the key elements of ICP are already in place, including common templates and technical requirements, a WBA spokeswoman said via email.
KT, NTT DoCoMo, PCCW, Shaw Communications, Smart Communications and True are also participating.
This isn't the first time the participants have worked together to allow for Wi-Fi roaming. Last week NTT DoCoMo and Boingo announced a partnership that allows NTT DoCoMo users to access Boingo's hotspots and vice versa.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!