Operators join forces to simplify international Wi-Fi roaming
Users will be able to access more hotspots in the same way they do at home
IDG News Service - A group of wireless operators including AT&T, Boingo Wireless, BT and China Mobile have joined forces to work on a common framework for Wi-Fi roaming to make it easier for users to access hotspots while travelling abroad.
Mobile operators have come to see public Wi-Fi as an important part of their networks as they face growing data usage volumes. But processes for users to connect to and roam on to Wi-Fi networks are still fragmented, according to the Wireless Broadband Association.
The industry organization leads the Wi-Fi Roaming Interoperability Compliancy Program (ICP), which aims to change that by specifying guidelines on user authentication, network selection and billing mechanisms. The goal is to make it easier for operators to enter into roaming agreements, it said.
Users will benefit from having access to an increased number of Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide, and users can also expect to be able to access hotspots in the same way they do at home.
The first trial of the program was launched on Dec. 17 and the plan is to launch it by May or June next year, according to the WBA. Some of the key elements of ICP are already in place, including common templates and technical requirements, a WBA spokeswoman said via email.
KT, NTT DoCoMo, PCCW, Shaw Communications, Smart Communications and True are also participating.
This isn't the first time the participants have worked together to allow for Wi-Fi roaming. Last week NTT DoCoMo and Boingo announced a partnership that allows NTT DoCoMo users to access Boingo's hotspots and vice versa.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts