European Commission wants to create an 'Airbus for chips'
Airbus, created from defense and aerospace companies across Europe, could be a model for the microelectronics sector
IDG News Service - Europe's top digital commissioner has called for an "Airbus for chips" to boost the bloc's microelectronics sector.
Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes said on Tuesday that if the European Union wants to be a global player in chip production, then collaboration and cooperation is the only way forward. "Why not a digital Airbus, or an Airbus for the chip sector?" she asked. "That scale of success is what you can get if you put borders aside and work in partnership."
Airbus, a subsidiary of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, was created from national defense and aerospace companies across Europe to compete with Boeing on a commercial level. Airbus now produces half the world's jet airliners.
The Commission plans to launch an electronics industrial strategy with the aim of increasing Europe's attractiveness for investment in design and production. "It doesn't mean we would structure a venture in the exact same way as Airbus, but the point is that Airbus didn't materialize by magic, it was planned and it took national and E.U. coordination, and we see value in achieving something similar with chips," said Digital Agenda spokesman Ryan Heath.
But the plans may be too little too late as figures from the World Semiconductor Trade Statistics show that the European manufacture of chips has been in decline for a number of years.
In April, European chip sales recorded a yearly drop of more than 14 percent, said the European Semiconductor Industry Association (ESIA). There was a tiny improvement in the most recent figures -- European sales of semiconductors in October were 0.2 percent higher than in September at US$2.79 billion.
Nonetheless, according to IC Insight, a market research company, STMicroelectronics is the only European company in the top 10 global players in an industry dominated by U.S. giant Intel.
A patchy pan-European policy framework may be partly to blame, which is why Kroes is urging the European industry to unite in order to face the global challenge of producing chips in a competitive manner.
"Complacency is a killer," she said. "The digital economy is growing seven times faster than the rest of the economy, but we need to take risks. There is too much risk-avoiding in Brussels."
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce
- Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization
- Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment
- IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and... All Financial IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Financial IT Webcasts