European Commission wants to create an 'Airbus for chips'
Airbus, created from defense and aerospace companies across Europe, could be a model for the microelectronics sector
IDG News Service - Europe's top digital commissioner has called for an "Airbus for chips" to boost the bloc's microelectronics sector.
Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes said on Tuesday that if the European Union wants to be a global player in chip production, then collaboration and cooperation is the only way forward. "Why not a digital Airbus, or an Airbus for the chip sector?" she asked. "That scale of success is what you can get if you put borders aside and work in partnership."
Airbus, a subsidiary of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, was created from national defense and aerospace companies across Europe to compete with Boeing on a commercial level. Airbus now produces half the world's jet airliners.
The Commission plans to launch an electronics industrial strategy with the aim of increasing Europe's attractiveness for investment in design and production. "It doesn't mean we would structure a venture in the exact same way as Airbus, but the point is that Airbus didn't materialize by magic, it was planned and it took national and E.U. coordination, and we see value in achieving something similar with chips," said Digital Agenda spokesman Ryan Heath.
But the plans may be too little too late as figures from the World Semiconductor Trade Statistics show that the European manufacture of chips has been in decline for a number of years.
In April, European chip sales recorded a yearly drop of more than 14 percent, said the European Semiconductor Industry Association (ESIA). There was a tiny improvement in the most recent figures -- European sales of semiconductors in October were 0.2 percent higher than in September at US$2.79 billion.
Nonetheless, according to IC Insight, a market research company, STMicroelectronics is the only European company in the top 10 global players in an industry dominated by U.S. giant Intel.
A patchy pan-European policy framework may be partly to blame, which is why Kroes is urging the European industry to unite in order to face the global challenge of producing chips in a competitive manner.
"Complacency is a killer," she said. "The digital economy is growing seven times faster than the rest of the economy, but we need to take risks. There is too much risk-avoiding in Brussels."
- Google I/O 2013's Coolest Products and Services
- 10 Star Trek Technologies That are Almost Here
- 19 Generations of Computer Programmers
- 25 Must-Have Technologies for SMBs
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
Can the financial services industry prevent some of these disasters through better quality software? I believe the answer is yes!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- IDC Security Infographic
- From the Era Before security to this current era of empowerment this infographic from Blue coat provides a timeline navigates the rise of...
- Key Drivers: Why CIOs Believe Empowered Users Set the Agenda for Enterprise Security
- Several years ago, a transformation in IT began to take place; a transformation from an IT-centric view of technology to a business-centric view...
- Security Empowers Business
- Every magazine article, presentation or blog about the topic seems to start the same way: trying to scare the living daylights out of...
- Business Assureance Technology Infographic
- IT Leaders See security as barrier to enabling employees. However with new Business assurance technology you are able to give Continuity, Agility, and...
- Beyond Data Migration Best Practices
- This guide is designed to help understand the best practices associated with email and other migration types - providing best practice guidance from... All Financial IT White Papers
- Becoming An Analytics Driven Organization
- Join us on Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT and learn how your agency can create an analytics culture that will enable...
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity. All Financial IT Webcasts