European Commission wants to create an 'Airbus for chips'
Airbus, created from defense and aerospace companies across Europe, could be a model for the microelectronics sector
IDG News Service - Europe's top digital commissioner has called for an "Airbus for chips" to boost the bloc's microelectronics sector.
Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes said on Tuesday that if the European Union wants to be a global player in chip production, then collaboration and cooperation is the only way forward. "Why not a digital Airbus, or an Airbus for the chip sector?" she asked. "That scale of success is what you can get if you put borders aside and work in partnership."
Airbus, a subsidiary of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, was created from national defense and aerospace companies across Europe to compete with Boeing on a commercial level. Airbus now produces half the world's jet airliners.
The Commission plans to launch an electronics industrial strategy with the aim of increasing Europe's attractiveness for investment in design and production. "It doesn't mean we would structure a venture in the exact same way as Airbus, but the point is that Airbus didn't materialize by magic, it was planned and it took national and E.U. coordination, and we see value in achieving something similar with chips," said Digital Agenda spokesman Ryan Heath.
But the plans may be too little too late as figures from the World Semiconductor Trade Statistics show that the European manufacture of chips has been in decline for a number of years.
In April, European chip sales recorded a yearly drop of more than 14 percent, said the European Semiconductor Industry Association (ESIA). There was a tiny improvement in the most recent figures -- European sales of semiconductors in October were 0.2 percent higher than in September at US$2.79 billion.
Nonetheless, according to IC Insight, a market research company, STMicroelectronics is the only European company in the top 10 global players in an industry dominated by U.S. giant Intel.
A patchy pan-European policy framework may be partly to blame, which is why Kroes is urging the European industry to unite in order to face the global challenge of producing chips in a competitive manner.
"Complacency is a killer," she said. "The digital economy is growing seven times faster than the rest of the economy, but we need to take risks. There is too much risk-avoiding in Brussels."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts