Sharp preps 6-in. notepad with 60-hour battery life
Monotone device features a stylus and has storage for 1,000 pages of digital scribbles, with USB sync
IDG News Service - Sharp is readying a 6-in. digital notepad with 60 hours of battery life under continuous use.
The monochrome "Digital Note" features a pen-shaped stylus and has enough storage for 1,000 pages of hand-written notes. It syncs with a computer using a microUSB connector, and has a low-power LCD touch screen.
While the device can be used to scribble notes on a blank screen, Sharp will also release a series of background templates for download in the future. Concepts for the templates include simple designs like lined notepaper, as well as resume forms and tables for entering figures, so the notepad could also be marketed to companies and storefronts for basic data entry.
Sharp is aiming to sell the notepad more as digital stationary than as a scaled-down tablet. Simple digital devices for taking notes are a growing category, with foreign competitors like the black-screened Boogie Board already selling in Japan. The Boogie Board has a 9.5-in. version that can run about 40 hours on a single charge and costs $180 in Japan.
The company said it has no plans to sell the device outside of Japan.
It will still compete with cheaper tablets like Amazon's basic Kindle Fire.
Sharp has tried to position its effort as part personal organizer. Users can search for entries by flipping through a calendar, or organize notes into different notepads. Notes drawn onto the device are saved and transferred as 600x700 bitmap images, with 16 colors of grayscale.
The Digital Note weighs 210 grams, or 315 grams with its case and stylus. It measures 11.1cm wide, 15.5cm tall, and 9.9mm thick.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts