Sharp preps 6-in. notepad with 60-hour battery life
Monotone device features a stylus and has storage for 1,000 pages of digital scribbles, with USB sync
IDG News Service - Sharp is readying a 6-in. digital notepad with 60 hours of battery life under continuous use.
The monochrome "Digital Note" features a pen-shaped stylus and has enough storage for 1,000 pages of hand-written notes. It syncs with a computer using a microUSB connector, and has a low-power LCD touch screen.
While the device can be used to scribble notes on a blank screen, Sharp will also release a series of background templates for download in the future. Concepts for the templates include simple designs like lined notepaper, as well as resume forms and tables for entering figures, so the notepad could also be marketed to companies and storefronts for basic data entry.
Sharp is aiming to sell the notepad more as digital stationary than as a scaled-down tablet. Simple digital devices for taking notes are a growing category, with foreign competitors like the black-screened Boogie Board already selling in Japan. The Boogie Board has a 9.5-in. version that can run about 40 hours on a single charge and costs $180 in Japan.
The company said it has no plans to sell the device outside of Japan.
It will still compete with cheaper tablets like Amazon's basic Kindle Fire.
Sharp has tried to position its effort as part personal organizer. Users can search for entries by flipping through a calendar, or organize notes into different notepads. Notes drawn onto the device are saved and transferred as 600x700 bitmap images, with 16 colors of grayscale.
The Digital Note weighs 210 grams, or 315 grams with its case and stylus. It measures 11.1cm wide, 15.5cm tall, and 9.9mm thick.
- Managing Social Content to Maximize Value and Minimize Risk In this AIIM white paper, you will learn about the roles of content publishing systems and content management systems in social business strategies...
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts