Nokia rolls out Windows Phone 7.8-based smartphone
New Lumia 510 is now shipping with the updated version of the OS
IDG News Service - Windows Phone 7.8 is available on Nokia's new Lumia 510, but the company still won't say when existing phones will get the update.
On Monday, Nokia confirmed that the Lumia 510 is shipping with Windows Phone 7.8. However, the company would not confirm or deny reports from the Netherlands saying that the update was also available to Lumia 800 owners.
"At present we have no more information we can give about wider availability of the update for phones running Windows Phone 7.5," Nokia said in a statement via email.
Windows Phone 7.8 was announced in June, and includes the new start screen Microsoft built for version 8 of its smartphone operating system. It allows users to change the size of the tiles used to access applications.
The update also doubles the number of theme and accent colors to 20 -- so users can further personalize their phones -- and adds new lock screen features, Microsoft said in a blog post last month.
Microsoft's blog post also provided some information on availability.
"We know youre eager to get the Windows Phone 7.8 update, and we want you to know that were working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013," it said.
The long wait has left some users frustrated.
The Lumia 510 was announced in October and the US$199 price tag makes it Nokia's cheapest Windows phone to date.
However, for another $50 users will be able to get the Windows Phone 8-based Lumia 620 at the beginning of next year. In addition to the new OS, the Lumia 620 also has twice the storage and twice the internal memory as the 510 -- 4GB vs 8GB and 256MB vs 512MB.
The Lumia 620 also has a Micro SD card slot to increase the available storage.
The prices quoted exclude any local taxes and operator subsidies.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- CDW Integrates with Google Apps for Cloud Collaboration Through a partnership with Google and Esna Technologies, CDW has rolled out native access to the CDW Cloud Collaboration suite within Google Apps. All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts