'True Linux' PengPod line to ship in January
Following a successful crowdfunding effort, two tablets and one mini PC are now available for preorder.
PC World - If you were among the many Linux fans whose interest was piqued by the PengPod "true Linux" tablet and mini PC line announced a few weeks ago, then this past weekend brought some good news for you.
Specifically, the project -- which last month was still seeking crowdfunding on Indiegogo -- surpassed its funding goal of $49,000, meaning it can now take the next step into production.
"We are now taking pre-orders directly through our site after a successful Indiegogo crowdfunding effort in which we raised more than $72,000," explains the website for the project, which is the brainchild of Peacock Imports.
The Allwinner A10
To recap, there are currently three devices in the PengPod line: both 7- and 10-inch tablet models as well as a mini PC. All of them feature the Allwinner A10 system on a chip.
The 7-inch tablet, called the PengPod700, features a capacitive touch screen, 1GB RAM, 8GB flash, speakers, and a front-facing camera. Pricing is $120.
The $185 PengPod1000, meanwhile, is the 10-inch version and comes with a higher-resolution display, while the $85 PengStick is a 3.5-inch mini PC similar to the MK802 that comes with 1GB of RAM and 4GB flash storage.
All three devices can run both Android 4.0 and Linux, including a dual-booting option through which Linux runs from a bootable SD card. Buyers can add $5 to have Linux installed on the on-board flash; an 8GB Linux SD card for dual booting costs an extra $8.
Ubuntu-based Linaro is the standard Linux distribution offered with the device, but "I also plan to offer an openSUSE image for download for those that want to try Plasma or KDE," Peacock Imports' Neal Peacock explains in a forum on the site.
Interested in picking up one of these devices for yourself? They're now available for preorder on the PengPod site, with shipment expected early next year.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts