MORE RED HAT: Red Hat rolls out private PaaSA
A new integration between RHEL's system security services daemon and Active Directory should make it easier to control identity management in IT environments that feature both RHEL and Windows, the company said in its announcement.
RHEL will now also work better as a guest operating system on Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization platform, and para-virtualization support was added for both Hyper-V and VMware.
The Microsoft angle is also apparent in the end-user features introduced in Version 6.4, which more closely integrates Red Hat's Evolution email client with Microsoft Outlook, and makes it easier to sync calendar information between the two applications.
There were several non-Microsoft-related features rolled out as well, of course - a preview version of a new file system adds I/O speed improvements, particularly for high-intensity workloads like databases. Web hosting companies and ISPs will also benefit from efficiency improvements made to the file system's swap functionality, the company says.
The new beta is Red Hat's third major release in a week. The company last Tuesday announced the availability of a new private platform-as-a-service product - called OpenShift Enterprise - that allows businesses to develop and host cloud applications in either public or private clouds. On the same day, Red Hat also rolled out a beta of Fedora Version 18, dubbed Spherical Cow. Fedora is the successor to the company's discontinued Red Hat Linux product.
Email Jon Gold at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter at @NWWJonGold.
Read more about software in Network World's Software section.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts