MORE RED HAT: Red Hat rolls out private PaaSA
A new integration between RHEL's system security services daemon and Active Directory should make it easier to control identity management in IT environments that feature both RHEL and Windows, the company said in its announcement.
RHEL will now also work better as a guest operating system on Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization platform, and para-virtualization support was added for both Hyper-V and VMware.
The Microsoft angle is also apparent in the end-user features introduced in Version 6.4, which more closely integrates Red Hat's Evolution email client with Microsoft Outlook, and makes it easier to sync calendar information between the two applications.
There were several non-Microsoft-related features rolled out as well, of course - a preview version of a new file system adds I/O speed improvements, particularly for high-intensity workloads like databases. Web hosting companies and ISPs will also benefit from efficiency improvements made to the file system's swap functionality, the company says.
The new beta is Red Hat's third major release in a week. The company last Tuesday announced the availability of a new private platform-as-a-service product - called OpenShift Enterprise - that allows businesses to develop and host cloud applications in either public or private clouds. On the same day, Red Hat also rolled out a beta of Fedora Version 18, dubbed Spherical Cow. Fedora is the successor to the company's discontinued Red Hat Linux product.
Email Jon Gold at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter at @NWWJonGold.
Read more about software in Network World's Software section.
- Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts