Ubuntu Linux 13.04 hits alpha, but details still under wraps
Only Edubuntu and Kubuntu users get true alpha releases in this development cycle.
PC World - Even as Ubuntu Linux 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" continues to make headlines following its release back in October, work is proceeding in earnest on its successor, Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail."
On Thursday, in fact, Version 13.04 of the popular Linux distribution entered alpha -- a stage that typically gives fans of the open source operating system an early glimpse at what's to come.
This time around, however, it's only users of Edubuntu and Kubuntu -- the flavors offering an education focus and a default KDE desktop, respectively -- that get a full sneak peek. For those of us who choose the core desktop Ubuntu package, feature details are still under wraps.
'We won't talk about them'
Ubuntu fans may recall that -- in a break from how things have been done in the past -- the Ubuntu 13.04 development cycle will see some details kept secret until the software's release, as Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth announced back in October.
Development is being conducted in a "skunkworks" environment, in other words -- to the chagrin of some open source fans.
A milestone build in March
Then, too, there's the fact that the Ubuntu project has decided to reduce the number of milestone images it releases, focusing instead "on daily quality and fortnightly testing rounds known as cadence testing," developer StA(c)phane Graber explained in Thursday's release announcement.
Accordingly, there will be no alpha release for the main Ubuntu distro; instead, its first milestone release will be the final beta on March 28.
The other Ubuntu flavors are exempted from this decision, however -- thus the release of the Edubuntu and Kubuntu alphas this week.
- Infographic: Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts