Website aims to bypass block on payments to WikiLeaks
Payments will be made through a new organization called Freedom of the Press Foundation
IDG News Service - A new website, set up by Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg and some other civil rights activists, aims to crowdsource donations for WikiLeaks and three other organizations.
The whistleblower website said there would be a new "attack" on the blockade in a reference to the new website.
WikiLeaks said in another Twitter message that it needed to raise nearly $1 million to continue publishing through 2013.
MasterCard, Visa and American Express, among others, stopped processing payments for WikiLeaks when it started releasing about 250,000 secret U.S. diplomatic cables in 2010.
The new organization is, however, collecting donations in its own name, and said on its website that payments till Jan. 31 will go to WikiLeaks, the National Security Archive, The UpTake and MuckRock News in proportions decided by the donor. WikiLeaks said in a statement on Sunday that it will not be possible to see by banking records what portion of a donor's contribution, if any, goes to WikiLeaks. "Your donation will appear on your billing statement as 'Freedom of the Press Foundation' and will be tax-deductible," the foundation said on its website.
MuckRock News is a website that helps people file requests under the Freedom of Information Act, while the National Security Archive is an archive of declassified U.S. government records. UpTake is described as a citizen-driven video news organization.
But what if payment processors blockade the Freedom of the Press Foundation as they did WikiLeaks ? "Let Visa, Mastercard, PayPal and all the rest block the independent Freedom of the Press Foundation. Let them demonstrate to the world once again who they really are," WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange said in the statement.
Freedom of the Press Foundation aims to release every two months a new "bundle" of organizations or individuals for which donations are invited, and does not appear to be only focused on raising funds for WikiLeaks.
The organization could not be immediately reached for comment.
The website said it accepts payments from all major credit cards including MasterCard, Visa, and American Express.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts