Website aims to bypass block on payments to WikiLeaks
Payments will be made through a new organization called Freedom of the Press Foundation
IDG News Service - A new website, set up by Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg and some other civil rights activists, aims to crowdsource donations for WikiLeaks and three other organizations.
The whistleblower website said there would be a new "attack" on the blockade in a reference to the new website.
WikiLeaks said in another Twitter message that it needed to raise nearly $1 million to continue publishing through 2013.
MasterCard, Visa and American Express, among others, stopped processing payments for WikiLeaks when it started releasing about 250,000 secret U.S. diplomatic cables in 2010.
The new organization is, however, collecting donations in its own name, and said on its website that payments till Jan. 31 will go to WikiLeaks, the National Security Archive, The UpTake and MuckRock News in proportions decided by the donor. WikiLeaks said in a statement on Sunday that it will not be possible to see by banking records what portion of a donor's contribution, if any, goes to WikiLeaks. "Your donation will appear on your billing statement as 'Freedom of the Press Foundation' and will be tax-deductible," the foundation said on its website.
MuckRock News is a website that helps people file requests under the Freedom of Information Act, while the National Security Archive is an archive of declassified U.S. government records. UpTake is described as a citizen-driven video news organization.
But what if payment processors blockade the Freedom of the Press Foundation as they did WikiLeaks ? "Let Visa, Mastercard, PayPal and all the rest block the independent Freedom of the Press Foundation. Let them demonstrate to the world once again who they really are," WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange said in the statement.
Freedom of the Press Foundation aims to release every two months a new "bundle" of organizations or individuals for which donations are invited, and does not appear to be only focused on raising funds for WikiLeaks.
The organization could not be immediately reached for comment.
The website said it accepts payments from all major credit cards including MasterCard, Visa, and American Express.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!