Samsung buys SSD caching vendor Nvelo
Nvelo's software allows the most often accessed data to be cached on fast SSDs
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has acquired Nvelo, a Silicon Valley vendor of products for caching data on flash-based SSDs (solid-state disks).
Nvelo is privately held and based in Santa Clara, California, and the terms of the deal were not disclosed. The acquisition involves all the company's technology and personnel, Samsung said.
Nvelo's Dataplex software is designed for caching data in SSDs to improve the speed of retrieval in devices that use either HDDs (hard disk drives) or SSDs for their main storage. The company says its technology can identify the data that the user needs most often and place that in the cache. That data also remains in the main storage. Flash vendors including OCZ Technology, Corsair and Crucial sell Dataplex bundled with their own products, according to Nvelo.
The use of flash storage in conjunction with HDDs has increased in recent years. SSDs retrieve data faster than HDDs but cost more per bit. Caching the most often accessed data on flash while keeping other bits on disk offers a more economical way to achieve high performance.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts