Samsung buys SSD caching vendor Nvelo
Nvelo's software allows the most often accessed data to be cached on fast SSDs
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has acquired Nvelo, a Silicon Valley vendor of products for caching data on flash-based SSDs (solid-state disks).
Nvelo is privately held and based in Santa Clara, California, and the terms of the deal were not disclosed. The acquisition involves all the company's technology and personnel, Samsung said.
Nvelo's Dataplex software is designed for caching data in SSDs to improve the speed of retrieval in devices that use either HDDs (hard disk drives) or SSDs for their main storage. The company says its technology can identify the data that the user needs most often and place that in the cache. That data also remains in the main storage. Flash vendors including OCZ Technology, Corsair and Crucial sell Dataplex bundled with their own products, according to Nvelo.
The use of flash storage in conjunction with HDDs has increased in recent years. SSDs retrieve data faster than HDDs but cost more per bit. Caching the most often accessed data on flash while keeping other bits on disk offers a more economical way to achieve high performance.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts