Google to phase out Sync, other services
The winter cleaning will end support for old or less-used services
IDG News Service - Google will begin to phase out its Sync service for consumers and discontinue several other services in early January.
The shuttering of the services, described as "winter cleaning" by the company, was announced in a post on its official blog.
"Last January, we renewed our resolution to focus on creating beautiful, useful products that improve millions of people's lives every day. To make the most impact, we need to make some difficult decisions," the company said.
Google Sync allows access to mail, calendar and contacts via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. Google said it will continue to offer the same functionality through the IMAP and CardDAV protocols.
Consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Sync from Jan. 30, but existing Sync connections will continue to function.
But, Google said Sync will continue to be supported for users of its Apps for Business, Government and Education platform.
Google Calendar Sync will be shut down Friday and Google Sync for Nokia S60 will end on Jan. 30.
For Google Calendar users, the company is also phasing out appointment slots and two Calendar Labs projects: smart rescheduler and "add gadget by URL." U.S.-only features that allow calendar checking and scheduling via SMS will also be discontinued as of Friday.
The SyncML contacts service, which Google said is used by a small number of older devices, will also be ended on the same day. Issue Tracker API will end on June 14, and Punchd, a loyalty card service, will end on June 7. Android and iOS apps for Punchd will be discontinued and merchants will no longer accept the Punchd cards after that date.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Internet White Papers | Webcasts