Google to phase out Sync, other services
The winter cleaning will end support for old or less-used services
IDG News Service - Google will begin to phase out its Sync service for consumers and discontinue several other services in early January.
The shuttering of the services, described as "winter cleaning" by the company, was announced in a post on its official blog.
"Last January, we renewed our resolution to focus on creating beautiful, useful products that improve millions of people's lives every day. To make the most impact, we need to make some difficult decisions," the company said.
Google Sync allows access to mail, calendar and contacts via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. Google said it will continue to offer the same functionality through the IMAP and CardDAV protocols.
Consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Sync from Jan. 30, but existing Sync connections will continue to function.
But, Google said Sync will continue to be supported for users of its Apps for Business, Government and Education platform.
Google Calendar Sync will be shut down Friday and Google Sync for Nokia S60 will end on Jan. 30.
For Google Calendar users, the company is also phasing out appointment slots and two Calendar Labs projects: smart rescheduler and "add gadget by URL." U.S.-only features that allow calendar checking and scheduling via SMS will also be discontinued as of Friday.
The SyncML contacts service, which Google said is used by a small number of older devices, will also be ended on the same day. Issue Tracker API will end on June 14, and Punchd, a loyalty card service, will end on June 7. Android and iOS apps for Punchd will be discontinued and merchants will no longer accept the Punchd cards after that date.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!