Google to phase out Sync, other services
The winter cleaning will end support for old or less-used services
IDG News Service - Google will begin to phase out its Sync service for consumers and discontinue several other services in early January.
The shuttering of the services, described as "winter cleaning" by the company, was announced in a post on its official blog.
"Last January, we renewed our resolution to focus on creating beautiful, useful products that improve millions of people's lives every day. To make the most impact, we need to make some difficult decisions," the company said.
Google Sync allows access to mail, calendar and contacts via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. Google said it will continue to offer the same functionality through the IMAP and CardDAV protocols.
Consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Sync from Jan. 30, but existing Sync connections will continue to function.
But, Google said Sync will continue to be supported for users of its Apps for Business, Government and Education platform.
Google Calendar Sync will be shut down Friday and Google Sync for Nokia S60 will end on Jan. 30.
For Google Calendar users, the company is also phasing out appointment slots and two Calendar Labs projects: smart rescheduler and "add gadget by URL." U.S.-only features that allow calendar checking and scheduling via SMS will also be discontinued as of Friday.
The SyncML contacts service, which Google said is used by a small number of older devices, will also be ended on the same day. Issue Tracker API will end on June 14, and Punchd, a loyalty card service, will end on June 7. Android and iOS apps for Punchd will be discontinued and merchants will no longer accept the Punchd cards after that date.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Top 5 Reasons for Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery There is no question that every business wants to protect their operations from downtime and loss of data. But many companies don't have...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts