AMD eyes server revival with aggressive new approach
Computerworld - To break its slump in the server market, Advanced Micro Devices has adopted an aggressive strategy whose goals include the introduction of new ARM and x86 chips by 2014 and continued improvements to its Opteron chips.
The company recently introduced two low-power Opteron processors that are designed for use in cloud servers that process Web transactions. Meant for entry-level and midrange servers, the nine new Opteron 4300 and 3300 x86 server chips can have up to eight cores.
The new chips could be used in AMD's SeaMicro line of dense servers, which now use the Opteron 4200 and 3200 chips introduced late last year. The new chips offer an average performance boost of 15% and consume less power.
AMD's goal is to mix and match x86 and ARM processors in servers. Last month, AMD started shipping Opteron 6300 chips for midrange and high-end servers.
AMD had a 4.5% share of the x86 server processor market in this year's third quarter, down from 5.2% in the same quarter last year, according to Mercury Research. The remaining market share belongs to Intel.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts