Facebook debuts speedier Android app
The new app dumps HTML5 in favor of native Android code
IDG News Service - Facebook has launched a new version of its app for Android smartphones that promises users speedier access to their messages, timeline and news.
The app marks a rewrite of several major parts of the Facebook software to break reliance on HTML5.
"We rebuilt several of Facebook for Android's core features in native code, including news feed and Timeline, to create a faster experience whether you're opening the app, looking at photos, or interacting with friends," wrote Frank Qixing Du, a Facebook Android engineer, in a posting on the company's engineering blog. "Now, you can comment and like a story more quickly, and photo loading is optimized to be much faster. We also built a new, automatically updated story banner to bubble up the newest stories, no matter where you are in news feed."
Facebook had been relying on a mix of Android code running on the phone and Web pages coded in HTML5 to look like app screens. But earlier this year Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said it was changing all that.
"I think the biggest mistake we made as a company was betting on HTML5 instead of native," Zuckerberg said at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco in September.
The result will be an app that opens noticeably quicker and is twice as fast when browsing photos and opening the timeline, Facebook said Thursday.
The new app, Facebook for Android Version 2.0, is available for download in the Google Play store.
Facebook expects further improvements in the future. "The infrastructure in place will let us continue to make the app even faster, smoother, and feature-rich," it said.
A rewritten version of the iOS app for Apple phones was launched earlier this year.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts