Facebook debuts speedier Android app
The new app dumps HTML5 in favor of native Android code
IDG News Service - Facebook has launched a new version of its app for Android smartphones that promises users speedier access to their messages, timeline and news.
The app marks a rewrite of several major parts of the Facebook software to break reliance on HTML5.
"We rebuilt several of Facebook for Android's core features in native code, including news feed and Timeline, to create a faster experience whether you're opening the app, looking at photos, or interacting with friends," wrote Frank Qixing Du, a Facebook Android engineer, in a posting on the company's engineering blog. "Now, you can comment and like a story more quickly, and photo loading is optimized to be much faster. We also built a new, automatically updated story banner to bubble up the newest stories, no matter where you are in news feed."
Facebook had been relying on a mix of Android code running on the phone and Web pages coded in HTML5 to look like app screens. But earlier this year Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said it was changing all that.
"I think the biggest mistake we made as a company was betting on HTML5 instead of native," Zuckerberg said at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco in September.
The result will be an app that opens noticeably quicker and is twice as fast when browsing photos and opening the timeline, Facebook said Thursday.
The new app, Facebook for Android Version 2.0, is available for download in the Google Play store.
Facebook expects further improvements in the future. "The infrastructure in place will let us continue to make the app even faster, smoother, and feature-rich," it said.
A rewritten version of the iOS app for Apple phones was launched earlier this year.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts