Cloudera CEO: We're taking Hadoop beyond MapReduce
The voluble CEO of Cloudera, Mike Olson, holds forth on the company's new Impala project and the boundless potential of Hadoop
Infoworld - From the number of times you've heard the word "Hadoop," you'd think it referred to some magic elixir for making sense of big data. In reality, Hadoop is an open source framework for distributed data storage and processing -- with enormous analytics potential for those who know how to use it.
To demystify Hadoop, and to get a personal perspective from one of the leading lights in the space, IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant and InfoWorld Editor in Chief Eric Knorr turned to Mike Olson, CEO of Cloudera. The hour-long interview, an edited version of which appears below, is part of the ongoing IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series.
[ Also on InfoWorld: What Hadoop can and can't do. | Harness the power of Hadoop with InfoWorld's 7 top tools for taming big data. | Discover what's new in business applications with InfoWorld's Technology: Applications newsletter. ]
Olson began his career in the '80s and '90s building and then later selling and managing companies that developed relational database products. In 2000 he became CEO of Sleepycat Software, makers of the open source embedded database engine Berkeley DB. He later negotiated the sale of Sleepycat to Oracle in 2006. Olson stayed with Oracle as vice president of embedded technologies for two years; shortly after departing, he "stumbled across" Hadoop. "When I saw how it was being used in the consumer Internet...I got excited and thought there would be an opportunity in traditional enterprises," he says.
As it turned out, three other entrepreneurs -- Christophe Bisciglia (Google), Amr Awadallah (Yahoo), and Jeff Hammerbacher (Facebook) -- all felt inspired to start a Hadoop venture at roughly the same time. "We banded together in the summer of 2008 to create just one, rather than four, such companies," says Olson. A year later, Doug Cutting, co-creator of the Hadoop project itself, joined Cloudera as chief architect.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts