Cloudera CEO: We're taking Hadoop beyond MapReduce
The voluble CEO of Cloudera, Mike Olson, holds forth on the company's new Impala project and the boundless potential of Hadoop
Infoworld - From the number of times you've heard the word "Hadoop," you'd think it referred to some magic elixir for making sense of big data. In reality, Hadoop is an open source framework for distributed data storage and processing -- with enormous analytics potential for those who know how to use it.
To demystify Hadoop, and to get a personal perspective from one of the leading lights in the space, IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant and InfoWorld Editor in Chief Eric Knorr turned to Mike Olson, CEO of Cloudera. The hour-long interview, an edited version of which appears below, is part of the ongoing IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series.
[ Also on InfoWorld: What Hadoop can and can't do. | Harness the power of Hadoop with InfoWorld's 7 top tools for taming big data. | Discover what's new in business applications with InfoWorld's Technology: Applications newsletter. ]
Olson began his career in the '80s and '90s building and then later selling and managing companies that developed relational database products. In 2000 he became CEO of Sleepycat Software, makers of the open source embedded database engine Berkeley DB. He later negotiated the sale of Sleepycat to Oracle in 2006. Olson stayed with Oracle as vice president of embedded technologies for two years; shortly after departing, he "stumbled across" Hadoop. "When I saw how it was being used in the consumer Internet...I got excited and thought there would be an opportunity in traditional enterprises," he says.
As it turned out, three other entrepreneurs -- Christophe Bisciglia (Google), Amr Awadallah (Yahoo), and Jeff Hammerbacher (Facebook) -- all felt inspired to start a Hadoop venture at roughly the same time. "We banded together in the summer of 2008 to create just one, rather than four, such companies," says Olson. A year later, Doug Cutting, co-creator of the Hadoop project itself, joined Cloudera as chief architect.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Automating Cost Transparency By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Forrester: The Business Technology Value Scorecard The "Business Technology Value Scorecard" paper proposes four categories of KPIs as the basis for a common language of metrics between IT leaders...
- Cisco Case Study Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!