Oracle buys DataRaker for its big data analysis tools
DataRaker products focus on analyzing smart-meter data from utilities
IDG News Service - Oracle is planning to buy DataRaker in a move that will give it a cloud-based platform for analyzing data from smart meters used by energy utilities. Terms of the deal, which was announced Thursday, weren't disclosed.
Smart meters and the massive amounts of information they generate are frequently linked with the industry buzzword "big data," which typically refers to unstructured data formats. Oracle's pending acquisition of DataRaker ties into a broad movement by software vendors to sell products that customers can use to crunch these data sets for valuable insights.
DataRaker's technology will be combined with Oracle's application offerings for utilities, according to a FAQ document on the deal released Thursday.
It has a number of "high-performance, pre-packaged applications that can address many complex analytical challenges currently being faced by the utilities industry," according to the FAQ.
For example, DataRaker can help customers shorten the time it takes to handle calls, cut the number of field service appointments and give customers more personalized information, the FAQ adds.
DataRaker's staff will be rolled into Oracle Utilities. Its software is deployed at a number of utilities, covering more than 17 million smart meters, according to an Oracle presentation.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts