Oracle buys DataRaker for its big data analysis tools
DataRaker products focus on analyzing smart-meter data from utilities
IDG News Service - Oracle is planning to buy DataRaker in a move that will give it a cloud-based platform for analyzing data from smart meters used by energy utilities. Terms of the deal, which was announced Thursday, weren't disclosed.
Smart meters and the massive amounts of information they generate are frequently linked with the industry buzzword "big data," which typically refers to unstructured data formats. Oracle's pending acquisition of DataRaker ties into a broad movement by software vendors to sell products that customers can use to crunch these data sets for valuable insights.
DataRaker's technology will be combined with Oracle's application offerings for utilities, according to a FAQ document on the deal released Thursday.
It has a number of "high-performance, pre-packaged applications that can address many complex analytical challenges currently being faced by the utilities industry," according to the FAQ.
For example, DataRaker can help customers shorten the time it takes to handle calls, cut the number of field service appointments and give customers more personalized information, the FAQ adds.
DataRaker's staff will be rolled into Oracle Utilities. Its software is deployed at a number of utilities, covering more than 17 million smart meters, according to an Oracle presentation.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- Building an Intelligence-Driven Security Operations Center The openness of today's networks and the growing sophistication of advanced threats make it almost impossible to prevent cyber attacks and intrusions.
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!