Oracle buys DataRaker for its big data analysis tools
DataRaker products focus on analyzing smart-meter data from utilities
IDG News Service - Oracle is planning to buy DataRaker in a move that will give it a cloud-based platform for analyzing data from smart meters used by energy utilities. Terms of the deal, which was announced Thursday, weren't disclosed.
Smart meters and the massive amounts of information they generate are frequently linked with the industry buzzword "big data," which typically refers to unstructured data formats. Oracle's pending acquisition of DataRaker ties into a broad movement by software vendors to sell products that customers can use to crunch these data sets for valuable insights.
DataRaker's technology will be combined with Oracle's application offerings for utilities, according to a FAQ document on the deal released Thursday.
It has a number of "high-performance, pre-packaged applications that can address many complex analytical challenges currently being faced by the utilities industry," according to the FAQ.
For example, DataRaker can help customers shorten the time it takes to handle calls, cut the number of field service appointments and give customers more personalized information, the FAQ adds.
DataRaker's staff will be rolled into Oracle Utilities. Its software is deployed at a number of utilities, covering more than 17 million smart meters, according to an Oracle presentation.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- IDC: Dual Perspectives on ITaaS This global survey by IDG Research Services of more than 350 IT and BU directors at enterprises of 1,000 employees or more reveals...
- ESG Whitepaper: Integrated Computing Platforms: Infrastructure Builds Tomorrow's Data Center Thought Leadership Report: 'Integrated Computing Platforms: Infrastructure Builds for Tomorrow's Data Center.' Highlights the challenges customers face when planning to deploy a Cloud...
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
By Rob F. Walker, Ph.D.
In the previous installment, we looked at and discussed strategies for business simulation and the infrastructure needed to make such initiatives successful. Now, we¿re ready to discuss some practical examples of business simulation. Imagine a mail order company selling products together with the necessary financing. more