RIM says ICE will test BlackBerry 10
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency set to start pilot BlackBerry 10 deployment in early 2013
IDG News Service - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will begin a pilot deployment of smartphones running Research In Motion's new BlackBerry 10 OS early next year.
The deal, announced Thursday, is the first major U.S. government agreement disclosed by RIM for the OS ahead of its planned launch on Jan. 30.
It will see the immigration service deploy the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 mobile enterprise management system and an unspecified number of BlackBerry 10 smartphones early in 2013, RIM said in a statement.
The size of the deal is unknown, but perhaps it's most important as a psychological boost for RIM and potential customers. For years a mainstay of U.S. government mobile communications, users have become increasingly dissatisfied with their BlackBerry devices as smartphones on competing platforms race ahead with bigger, brighter screens and a large number of apps.
BlackBerry 10 and a new array of handsets are RIM's answer to Android, Apple's iOS and these user frustrations, but a big question is how many public and private enterprises will stick with RIM.
An important step toward use in the U.S. government was attainment of FIPS 140-2, a cryptographic certification that was achieved earlier this year.
The BlackBerry 10 platform brings a number of features designed to increase information security.
There is, for example, a home and work mode that separates data and applications internally. Enterprises can control the apps and features available on the work side and keep confidential information stored and unavailable to apps on the home side of the device, where the user is able to run software and access features without restriction.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World
- Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local... All Government IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Government IT Webcasts