Apple e-book settlement with EU will allow Amazon to set prices
E-book publishers agree to allow retailers including Amazon to determine their own prices
IDG News Service - Apple and four other e-book publishers have settled an antitrust battle with the European Union.
After a year of investigations into allegations of cartel price-fixing, the European Commission has decided to accept commitments to alter e-book pricing practices from Harper Collins, Hachette Livre, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Macmillan and Apple.
The Commission concluded that an infringement had very possibly taken place when the publishers together with Apple jointly switched to an agency sales model to set e-book prices.
Despite this, the competition watchdog decided not to impose fines, instead opting to accept promises from the companies that they will terminate the current agency agreements and, for a period of two years, will not hamper e-book retailers, such as Amazon, from setting their own prices for e-books or from offering discounts and promotions.
The Commission made the decision in order to resolve the situation in what is a very fast-moving market. "This route is the quickest way to bring competition back to this market, to the benefit of all consumers who buy e-books in Europe," said the Commission statement.
Apple and the four publishers seemingly shared the goal of limiting retail-price competition, particularly with regard to Amazon, which was the uncontested leader in the retail market for e-books at the time of the change, said the Commission. Under a wholesale model, the retailer is free to set the price, but with an agency model, the retail price of e-books is determined by the publishers themselves.
A fifth publisher, Penguin is still under investigation, but the Commission said it was engaged in "constructive discussions" with the company.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts