Last chapter for e-readers?
"The stunning rise and then blazing flameout of e-readers perfectly encapsulate what has become an axiomatic truth in the industry: Single task devices like the e-reader are being replaced without remorse in the lives of consumers by their multifunction equivalents, in this case by media tablets," Selburn said.
Other single-task devices. such as digital still cameras, GPS systems and MP3 players face similar market pressures and dim prospects, but have had more years on the market than e-readers, "demonstrating even more painfully the depth of the e-book readers' fall," Selburn added.
Ryan Reith, an analyst at IDC, added that "people would love to have a smartphone, e-reader, tablet and laptop, but in reality we need to realize that consumers can't generally afford to buy all of these devices." Still, e-readers are cheap and serve a specific purpose, "so will certainly be around for a long time, but growth will be very limited."
Not all is lost, however. Selburn said Amazon is insulated from declining interest in e-readers because of its huge sales of e-books.
Another analyst, Jack Gold of J. Gold Associates, agreed. "While the market for dedicated e-readers is shrinking, the market for dedicated consumption devices tied to particular delivery channels like Amazon with Kindle will remain healthy, albeit smaller than for the overall tablet market," Gold said.
There will still be e-reader buyers interested in spending less than for tablets, which will keep e-readers a "a small but important" market, Gold added. "Not everyone is willing to spend $500 to $600 for a full-featured tablet."
Selburn also said e-reader manufacturers will face more pressure to keep costs low and to sell the devices at even lower prices. There is industry speculatlion that the 5-in. Txtr Beagle reader will sell for just $13 in 2013, when subsidized by wireless carriers, he said.
Such extremely low pricing may help prolong the life of the e-reader market, but Selburn lamented that e-readers will never regain the popularity they once had -- all the way back in 2011.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eye on e-books
- E-reader decline prompts user debate over e-reader vs. tablet
- Last chapter for e-readers?
- Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight: An e-reader for night readers
- Bluefire launches Android-ready e-reader software for independent booksellers
- More Americans own e-readers than tablets, survey finds
- First look: The Kobo eReader Touch Edition
- Amazon: E-books now outsell print books
- Creating an e-book: Tips on formatting and converting your document
- Kindle for the Web demos at Chrome event
- Update: Amazon to demo Kindle for the Web on Tuesday
Read more about Personal Technology in Computerworld's Personal Technology Topic Center.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!