EU official says Google antitrust talks 'advancing'
Competition chief says there's no deadline for ending negotiations
IDG News Service - The European Union's competition chief has said negotiations with Google to settle an antitrust probe have "advanced", but talks are not yet concluded.
Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said he could could not anticipate the outcome of ongoing talks and added that they could not go on forever. However he also said that there was no precise deadline for their conclusion.
Google is accused of using its search service to direct users to its own services and reducing the visibility of competing websites and services. In November 2011 the Commission extended the case into a full investigation to determine whether Google search results are unfair to rivals.
French search engine eJustice.fr and the U.K.-based Foundem first lodged complaints in 2010. But 14 other companies have since followed their lead including Microsoft-owned German price comparison site Ciao, Dutch football website Elfvoetbal, French companies Dealdujour.pro and Twenga, British online mapping company Streetmap and online travel sites Expedia and Tripadvisor.
According to reports, Google has proposed a settlement of the antitrust case that involves labeling its own services in search results.
Earlier this month U.S. Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz met with Almunia to discuss the search giant, which is also under investigation by the U.S. agency.
Google controls more than 90% of the search market in several European countries.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts