EU official says Google antitrust talks 'advancing'
Competition chief says there's no deadline for ending negotiations
IDG News Service - The European Union's competition chief has said negotiations with Google to settle an antitrust probe have "advanced", but talks are not yet concluded.
Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said he could could not anticipate the outcome of ongoing talks and added that they could not go on forever. However he also said that there was no precise deadline for their conclusion.
Google is accused of using its search service to direct users to its own services and reducing the visibility of competing websites and services. In November 2011 the Commission extended the case into a full investigation to determine whether Google search results are unfair to rivals.
French search engine eJustice.fr and the U.K.-based Foundem first lodged complaints in 2010. But 14 other companies have since followed their lead including Microsoft-owned German price comparison site Ciao, Dutch football website Elfvoetbal, French companies Dealdujour.pro and Twenga, British online mapping company Streetmap and online travel sites Expedia and Tripadvisor.
According to reports, Google has proposed a settlement of the antitrust case that involves labeling its own services in search results.
Earlier this month U.S. Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz met with Almunia to discuss the search giant, which is also under investigation by the U.S. agency.
Google controls more than 90% of the search market in several European countries.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts