EU official says Google antitrust talks 'advancing'
Competition chief says there's no deadline for ending negotiations
IDG News Service - The European Union's competition chief has said negotiations with Google to settle an antitrust probe have "advanced", but talks are not yet concluded.
Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said he could could not anticipate the outcome of ongoing talks and added that they could not go on forever. However he also said that there was no precise deadline for their conclusion.
Google is accused of using its search service to direct users to its own services and reducing the visibility of competing websites and services. In November 2011 the Commission extended the case into a full investigation to determine whether Google search results are unfair to rivals.
French search engine eJustice.fr and the U.K.-based Foundem first lodged complaints in 2010. But 14 other companies have since followed their lead including Microsoft-owned German price comparison site Ciao, Dutch football website Elfvoetbal, French companies Dealdujour.pro and Twenga, British online mapping company Streetmap and online travel sites Expedia and Tripadvisor.
According to reports, Google has proposed a settlement of the antitrust case that involves labeling its own services in search results.
Earlier this month U.S. Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz met with Almunia to discuss the search giant, which is also under investigation by the U.S. agency.
Google controls more than 90% of the search market in several European countries.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!